Monday 1 January 2018

2017 overview

So, every new year on this blog I do a recap post for the year just past - and man, what a year 2017 has been. The world continues noisily going mad, I've finally finished university having submitted my Masters dissertation in September, and I'm lucky enough to have gone from studenthood straight into a part-time job with the Church Army, alongside which I continue to write - poetry here and there, but mostly grinding away in an effort to produce a workable draft of the first in my planned series of novels, The Improbable Interplanetary Revolutions of Naomi Moss; but you don't care about my life, dear internet stranger who for whatever unfathomable reasons may be reading this weird little blog of spewed idiosyncratic reflections on various wodges of paper and ink - you care, like me, about books, and so if you're reading this recap post I can only imagine it is to glean some insights into my final reflections on the material my brain has eaten and digested (and in places excreted) across the last twelve months. And wow! In 2017 we saw a new record set for this blog, with 69 books finished - a full 23 more than the previous best.
   To what can we attribute this enormous disparity?
   Well, to an extent it's because I've read quite a lot of really short books, which I'm still obligated to write individual posts for, but which I won't be mentioning most of here. To a larger degree, it's because I spent most of summer dedicatedly reading masses of material about Kurdistan for my dissertation - which is easily the most enjoyable research project I'd ever undertaken.
  • Most interesting specific field in non-fiction: Kurdistan
   Also, since November last year I've been trying to develop as a poet, and so have been reading lots of poetry: these books tend to be a lot shorter than typical others, but are far more often worthy of wide recommendation, so:
   Eh, there's quite a lot of books I'm going to link into this, so rather than keep trying to preface each mention with a properly couching bit of prose I'm just gonna dump them all in no particular order. C'est la vie.
   I'm still very much enjoying writing this blog and finding value in it as personal project, so buckle in for a buttload more books in 2018. There's been a pre-selected pile of items which I'd been planning to read alongside the start of my writing project, which I've now started working my way through, so there are some very interesting posts coming along hopefully. I'm still trying to tip the balance more toward reading books from female and minority background writers, as I'm painfully aware that most of the stuff I read (and most of the stuff most people read, given the nature of privilege in publishing industries and the tides of literary and academic history) is by white men, not at all to say that these aren't generally good books, but if one of the core points of reading widely is to broaden your empathic horizons then it is woefully shortsighted to read without taking such factors of context into account and seeking to correct for them in what one chooses to imbibe.
   Anyway.
   Whoever you are, dear reader, I wish you all the best, and thank you for visiting this blog whether you are a regular or first-time-stumble-across-googler: happy new year.
   Peace & love
   Isaac Stovell

No comments:

Post a Comment