Thursday 8 March 2018

Being Messy, Being Church

This book, edited by Ian Paul, is a collection of essays exploring Messy Church, and was another of the books I've finished as part of ongoing reflective reading in my job at Church Army's research team. My personal reflections on it all tie in strongly with other reading about church and discipleship and stuff so if you're interested have a peruse of other posts - I've also been condensing my applied reflections from each chapter into note forms which are all in my desk at work, and I'm writing this at home (weirdly, I've not yet asked if they'd mind me taking an hour or so every time I finish reading something at work to then write a blog post about, so) - thus this post will, in thorough contravention of its title and themes, be straightforward, simplistic, neat, and will not invite collaboration or participation from or with any of my other thoughts on any other books. In fact, it barely constitutes more than a copy of the contents of the Contents page.
  • A foreword by Lucy Moore (who founded the Messy Church [MC] movement).
  • An introduction by Ian Paul about the ongoing vitality of the MC vision.
  • Karen Rooms on MC in different contexts.
  • Isabelle Hamley on teamwork and developing team members' faith in MC.
  • Greg Ross on common challenges and pitfalls to MCs.
  • Jean Pienaar on making sacred spaces in MC.
  • Philip North on MCs and the sacraments.
  • Sabrina Muller on MCs' appropriacy for the postmodern world.
  • Mark Rylands on the conversation between MCs and 'traditional' Sunday churches.
  • Judyth Roberts on MCs' playfulness.
  • Irene Smale on the pastoral implications in a MC.
  • Tim Sanderson on evangelism in MCs.
  • Stephen Kuhrt on the challenge on discipleship in MCs.
  • Tim Dakin on missional structures for missional outcomes (applied to MCs).

   To close this dishearteningly* boiler-plate post, I will add that despite the lack of depth with which I have discussed them here, these essays are deeply insightful and thought-provoking, and I would hold this book up in recommendation for anyone involved in church leadership or organisation - especially churches that look a bit like, or that you feel God is telling you could or maybe should look more like, Messy Churches.



* At least, I dare to presume that someone might have found it so, if they happen to both (or either) be a follower of this blog or an enthusiast for Messy ecclesiology/missiology in pursuit of online resources to find out more about these - well for one, I'm hazarding on the assumption that these two circles maybe don't overlap much (especially given that the first, if the people in it are real at all, is tiny) and maybe the secondary assumption that if there is such an overlap then whoever's in it probably wouldn't be that disheartened if I flappingly apologised for the uselessness of this post knowing full well that it isn't useless properly if it points them toward a relevant book.

No comments:

Post a Comment