Wednesday 19 September 2018

Inspector Smart & the Case of the Empty Tomb

This book, by Michael Tinker (and, outrageously, illustrated by me) is an exploration of the probably-well-known-enough-that-a-summary-here-isn't-necessary story of Jesus of Nazareth, in particular his rising from the dead, despite the fact that Roman centurions were notoriously good at making sure people who were meant to die died. It takes the shape of a mystery - with Inspector Smart, the lead detective, interviewing witnesses in the Judea region to build a better picture of what went on.
   I can't sing the praises of this book's illustrations too wholeheartedly because I did them* and they're not brilliant but they get the story told. Writing-wise this is I think a clear and innovative retelling of the classic core christian story, that makes it compelling to younger audiences. That said I think this book would probably function best as an apologetics primer for small Christian children - but it could still prove an entertaining read for non-believers' families who enjoy mystery and intrigue.



* I'm still waiting for my royalty payments for the Inspector Smart branded mug which was released at some point over the last few years that says on it "He-brew", which is a great pun as well as probably the best tea in Israel... I know they exist, I haven't said anything, I don't really mind or care. It's cool to have some part of my work succeed enough to make it onto a mug, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment