Monday 20 April 2020

Eisenhorn

This book (or in fact whole trilogy of book in a single slick volume) is another absolute stonker by Gaunt's Ghosts author Dan Abnett - this time, still in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, following the career of Imperial Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn, as he slowly and all but inexorably shifts from being a diehard puritan toward the radical edge of all those sworn to defend the galaxy against the scourge of Chaos.
   The trilogy herein, Xenos, Malleus and Hereticus, alongside the two shorter stories  that accompany it, comprise in my opinion by far the most psychologically and philosophically interesting fiction committed aboard the Games Workshop franchise, and it's a strong rival to most other sci-fi favourites of mine. Gregor's terse narration reflects and conceals his gently changing character - attitudes, allegiances and all, the whole thing woven so deftly to not give away a single "OH SHIT" moment before it's Far Too Late, and by then you're shivering at how obvious it is in retrospect despite never having seen them coming.
   I'm genuinely on a bit of a hyped-up binge recently, but I'd only read this once before and I was only fourteen so I didn't remember it particularly well; I don't remember having enjoyed it as much as this time then either so maybe I've just got a bit more warp-taint as I've aged. Is it excessive if my To-Read Pile gets bumped slightly for the time being while I blitz through another of Dan's omnibus trilogies (also about a growingly-radical Inquisitor?)

No comments:

Post a Comment