Wednesday 14 October 2020

Stardust

This book by Nail Gaiman is an absolute treasure. Prepare for a deep dive into a world so magical it feels almost like Gaiman is witness-bearing to its reality as a travel writer rather than a mere imagineer - fairies, witches, foul-mouthed falling star-folk, pirates and fratricide aplenty - this is simply one of the most fun stories I've had the pleasure of reading for a while. Old stories are reforged on every other page and always rehashed with so generous a helping of Neil's own freshly-conjured brilliant quirks of ethereality that you may well find yourself, as I did, finishing this in only a sitting or two within a day of picking it up. I mean, lockdown helps with the time management on that front, but even assuming you're reading this and Covid 19 is no longer The News, I'm sure you can find time for a rollicking romp through the Gap in the Wall and find yourself adrift with Tristran Thorn on his romantic quest for something or other. I'm quite pleased and shocked at having got this far without dropping a spoiler so I'll sign off to stay safe on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment