Friday 15 May 2020

Dark Matter

This book is an expansion for Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition by Mage Hand Press, being effectively a total integration of science fiction elements into the gamiverse. All the races get a nice update, plus there's six new ones; there's a new Gadgeteer class, several pretty interesting factions, and buttloads of excellent worldbuilding material with ships, blasters and whatnot as techno-magical items - and of course loads of new spells. I've been using this to flesh out our campaign for which I'm DM, as we'd initially started playing a Savage Worlds campaign which blended fantasy and sci-fi elements - but it's just not as good as D&D, so we've kept all elements on the table for Full-Fat Fantasy with All the Science-Fictional-Additives - and, though it's been a lot of work for me to leap from the RPG-for-dummies* model we started out on, and admittedly there is probably still about 10% of our campaign that's technically homebrew because I've not been able to find anything in either here or the WotC books that properly maps onto things we'd had running in the story, it's so much bloomin' fun I can't even - if you're a dungeon-master** looking for cool new shots in the arm of your campaigns, do a sci-fi overhaul with full retention of all the classic bits - I can vouch for Dark Matter being the perfect add-on for such a campaign.


* No offence to any Savage Worlds players, it's a fun enough game, but you know I'm right.

** Or galaxy master, as I not-at-all-megalomaniacally now refer to myself as. The players are meant to hate me anyway, right? I mean, I am all the bad guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment