Monday 4 May 2020

Ravenor

This book - actually trilogy, being an anthology comprising the novels Ravenor, Ravenor Returned and Ravenor Rogue - by Dan Abnett, is the second in his "trilogy of trilogies" [this being the first] dealing with the dark and daemonic happenings around the Imperial Inquisition of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
   Somehow, though having owned this book for well over a decade, I'd never got round to reading it - I think the disquieting subtextual impacts of Gregor Eisenhorn's prior adventures may, perhaps, have been slightly too much for my innocent autistic teenage Christian brain at the time, and so I just parked the idea of ever reading the sequel trilogy - apart from now having revisited the former and loving it and having read this and thinking it's even better - like, it's a chonky ~900 page tome but I devoured it in a couple of days; the characters are ridiculously fun, the psychic scenes play out like nothing I've ever read and the plot - oh Holy Throne of Terra the plot! Well suffice to say, I fething almost lost mine, finishing the second half to this whole trilogy in a single all-night sitting because just - there isn't a sci-fi writer out there who does high-concept thrilling action like Warmaster Dan, and these three novels are probably the best of his I've read. Sorry, men of Tanith...
   Now to somehow stay sane until the third trilogy is completed to a readable degree, because I've certainly come away from this whole thing with considerable warp-taint if naught else.

No comments:

Post a Comment