This book is Jürgen Moltmann's first* and probably his [second]-most famous. As it says on the tin, it is a deep-dive into the theology around hope as understood in a Christian sense.
After an introduction meditating on the nature of Christian hope, we then plunge into a buttload of abstract theory. The first chapter is on the interrelations between eschatology and revelation, then relatedly the second on promise and history. The third chapter gets a bit more concrete by placing Christ front and centre - how his resurrection speaks into the future in a illimitably hopeful way. Chapter four applies this to real history - how God speaks in revelation & promise into humanly-percieved time to create a hopeful sense of direction. Then the final chapter considers what the church's role in all this is.
Don't be surprised - this is a very academically and philosophically dense book. I feel I only understood long passages of it because I've already read Moltmann's later systematic theology series, which is where I'd recommend newcomers to this most ecumenical of theologians start rather than here with his actual first book. Nonetheless, an inspiring and edifying read, that given a lot of intellectual patience I'm sure almost every Christian would get a lot out of.
* Though I read (and linked to) an updated version for the 21st-century, which includes a lecture Moltmann gave on the book's themes in addressing the pressing issues that make modern life so often feel hopeless. If you're interested the lecture is available here.
No comments:
Post a Comment