Wednesday 30 October 2019

A Quiet Night In

This book by Jill Murphy was one among a series of elephant-family books I had as a kid* and to my surprise my parents retain. It's a pretty boring story, consisting of a family of elephants, whose dad is having a birthday for which the mum is planning [title]. The kid-elephants get variously antsy and annoy their mum while waiting for dad to get home from work, only to all fall asleep as soon as he arrives, and the parents end up having a quiet night in anyway. If any moral can be taken from the story it's that parent life is awful and kids are the fucking worst. I certainly sunk in exactly this from reading it as a juvenile. Whatever. Maybe worth a shot for the tiddlies?



* If you're wondering why I seem to be reading loads of children's books at the moment, I'll remind you that I've temporarily moved back in with my parents, who for a day or two a week babysit a toddler called Isaac, which was weird enough, but he's now old enough to form his own shortish sentences, and having become well accustomed to his being referred to as 'Little Isaac' while I am 'Big Isaac', the sheer power with which he can demand I read him stuff must have bolstered his ego of late - as recently he marched into the kitchen to declare "I'm big Isaac now!" which I can't really argue with.

No comments:

Post a Comment