Thursday 17 October 2019

Stickleback

This booklet is a mini-collection of four poems by Kate Garrett, exploring the joys, pains, and oddnesses of being pregnant with a child you know is suffering congenitally from a heart condition. Not something as a wombless person I'm ever going to experience but as I myself was born with a similar defect to Kate's youngest* it was a stimulatingly empathic read and I've gifted the booklet to my mother having finished it - she's not a big poetry reader but I reckon she'll find much of comfort and sympathy in there too.



* Kate, among the million other awesome things she does in & for the poetry world, runs a blog compiling pieces broadly about these themes to raise money for children who need heart-related healthcare. I've been lucky enough to not only survive my ills of birth so far but had a poem titled Salvation published here, which uses my condition as a run-on metaphor to talk about my spiritual wellbeing and journeys therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment